Train Like a Champion
The Ultimate Boxing Workout replicates the most beneficial elements of a boxer’s workout, to maximize results in the shortest amount of time. It is a fun, effective, and dynamic routine that includes all aspects of boxing training. This is the place where boxing and fitness meet in perfect balance. The Ultimate Boxing Workout offers you the best of both worlds.
Boxers have to push themselves to the limit when they are in training camp, so they can give maximum effort when they are fighting. If a boxer cuts corners while they are training they will be unable to perform effectively in the ring when it really counts. For the average fitness enthusiast however, the thought of stepping into the ring to face an opponent and take punches is not at the top of their list. The Ultimate Boxing Workout is for those who want to experience the type of training a boxer goes through to get into top shape.
This authentic boxing workout has been developed over years, working with some of the world’s best boxers and trainers. Boxing, otherwise known as ‘the sweet science’, is made palatable for non-boxers by removing sparring from the equation. This eliminates the wear and tear or even the punishment that a boxer may sustain when facing an actual opponent.
Why Train like a Boxer?
Why create a workout routine based on a boxer’s training regimen? It is simple: because boxers are the best-conditioned athletes in the world. Boxers need the endurance to go the distance. As well, anaerobic conditioning is required for explosive bursts of speed and power. Superb coordination, muscular strength, power, foot speed, agility, aerobic endurance, and intense anaerobic bursts are the key elements of a successful boxer. At the highest level, boxers must be in superb physical condition and exhibit mental commitment and drive.
The skills and physicality of athletes vary from sport to sport, however there are twelve general physical characteristics all great athletes must possess.
Physical Characteristics of Great Athletes:
1. Cardiovascular/respiratory endurance – The ability of the body systems to gather, process, and deliver oxygen to the working muscles. Boxers must have the endurance to perform at an optimal level for every round, be it the first round or the last, maintain the same level of intensity.
2. Stamina – The ability of body systems to process, deliver, store, and utilize energy. Boxers are conditioned to continually move in the ring using their legs to change direction and manoeuvre into position, to throw a high volume of effective punches, and going the fight distance.
3. Strength – The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply force. Boxers develop power by delivering forceful punches repeatedly on the heavy bag. The upper body, shoulders, arms, core, and leg muscles play an important role in producing strong punches.
4. Speed – The ability to minimize the time cycle of a repeated movement. Boxers rapidly throw punch after punch reducing the amount of time between strikes.
5. Power – The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units to apply maximum force in minimum time. The muscles of the arms, upper body, core, and legs are trained to deliver forceful punches with precise, explosive power.
6. Flexibility – the ability to maximize the range of motion at a given joint. Boxers need to be agile to avoid incoming punches by slipping and ducking. Flexible muscles allow for quick movement changes and prevent the risk of muscle tears and injuries to the joint regions.
7. Coordination – The ability to combine several distinct movement patterns into a singular distinct movement. Boxers develop and execute synchronized punching combinations matched with defensive moves and balanced footwork.
8. Balance – The ability to control the placement of the body’s centre of gravity in relation to its support base. Boxers are always on the move and develop a sense of how to maintain a strong centre of balance. They must be able to throw punches from awkward angles and be able to maintain their balance after taking punches.
9. Agility – The ability to minimize transition time from one movement pattern to another. Boxers are light on their feet, allowing for free flowing transitions and a variety of punch sequences to be administered.
10. Accuracy – The ability to control movement in a given direction or at a given intensity. Boxers train to develop the delivery of the perfect punch or punch sequences to the desired location.
11. Focus – Concentration on the task at hand. Focus on technique, being in the moment and doing your best. Good boxers have to be one step ahead of their opponents for the entire bout. They must maintain perfect concentration for every second of every round.
12 –Commitment – Mental commitment and drive ensuring adherence to a training schedule and the goal at hand. Boxing champions have the commitment and the intense mental focus required to succeed. Great boxers take pride in the process of developing a strong, lean, healthy body so their every move is executed with perfection.
If you want to achieve the physicality of a great athlete, the quick reflexes, agility, balance, power, and coordination, then you need to train like one. The Ultimate Boxing Workout mimics the workouts of the best-conditioned athletes in the world. This workout offers variety and is both challenging, fun and is never boring. One of the most difficult challenges when pursuing a healthier and a more active lifestyle is being consistent and sticking with the training. The key is to stay inspired and motivated with your workout to get the maximum benefit from your commitment. As the pound for pound champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. states, “Perhaps the greatest benefit of an entertaining workout is the motivation to exercise when you otherwise might not train.”
By choosing a workout with a wide variety of fitness training options, setting realistic goals for yourself, making physical activity a priority in your everyday life, and adopting a healthy diet, you can acquire a superior overall physical conditioning and well-being. The Ultimate Boxing Workout provides an exhilarating and fun workout to help you achieve maximum results in the most efficient way possible. Improvements in muscular strength and endurance, cardiovascular and respiratory endurance, flexibility, and body composition can be achieved with the Fitness Boxing workout.
(Champion photos by Naoki Fukuda)